Re: [Circle] PASSWD

From: Niese-Petersen (
Date: 08/15/96

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, malcor wrote:

> Has anybody had a problem with thier passwords for players that exceed
> 8 letters?
> On our mud we have trouble with this if a character has less that 8
> letters in their name they can chose a password and it will work fine,
> but if they go over 8 then they can pick an initial password
> but there is no longer a need for one.
> i.e
> name:   Malcor
> passwd: mem
> Verify: mem
> but if i hit over 8 letters
> name:   ottffssent
> passwd: mem
> Verify: okthis
> will work any ideas?
> i have tried the interpreter.c and mudpasswd from my other mud where they
> work fine and they dont here :(
> Thanks
> Malcor

Yes.. I had that problem too when a players name were more than 6 letters.
Reason was the crypt function.. It created a string like this:

$1$<name>$<crypted string>

So, since the MUD only want a crypt string 10 characters long it got problems
on names longer than 5 characters..

$1$<name>$<crypt sting missing!!>

Example:   name: Quint      Crypt: $1$Quint$c <working crypt>
           name: Quinter    Crypt: $1$Quinter <not working crypt>
           name: Tester     Crypt: $1$Tester$ <not working crypt>

What you can do is:

1) Don't crypt the password, and hope noone hack the MUD account :)
2) Make the code save a longer crypt string, like 20-30 characters ?
3) Make your own crypt function.

Erik Niese-Petersen
Aka Quint The typo God
Realms of Darkness IMP [ 6666. Playertesting]