Re: [CODE] Use UNIX database gdbm/ndbm/dbm for player&

From: Katzlberger Thomas (cat@vuse.vanderbilt.edu)
Date: 09/20/96

You wrote:
> > I just stumbled onto the dbm thingy which comes with
> > all UNIXes:
>
> > Wouldn't using those save us from many problems with playerfile,
> > alias, objfile & saved_struct modification ?
> >
> > The public domain gdbm package can be downloaded from
> > aeneas.mit.edu. Just in case its not installed ...
> >
> > Cat.
>
> thats fine but what about all the people on wintel machines, on os2
> on anything else they are trying to run it on. Doing something like
> that would really tie us to a platform.

Naah, writing for Windows will tie you to a platform,
namely Windows. I think it should be very easy to port
gdbm to DOS. It just uses fread,fwrite,fsync and a few other
fxxx's. libgdbm.a is barely 28 KB big on my system and
compiles in about 30 seconds ...

Adopting the 81 line autoconf.h file for a win system should be
pretty easy. Anyone want to try ?

Cat.
---
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/_/  Thomas Katzlberger                                        _/_/
_/_/  katzlbt@vuse.vanderbilt.edu                               _/_/
_/_/  @aWhiteNeXT.called.garfield                               _/_/
_/_/  http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~katzlbt/                  _/_/
_/_/  "You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish."  _/_/
_/_/                                UNIX man page for tunefs.   _/_/