Re: Bitfields (was: [BUGFIX] sprintbit)

From: Admin of The Keep (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/03/96

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Corey Hoitsma wrote:

> Hello:)
>
> I was looking into having more than 32 bits.
> Well, I was told, but I'm not sure if it's true, that
> there is a long long that's 64 bits. Anyone have
> information on this or if it's true?

I believe GCC 2.7.x added support for 'long long', but I think it still
relies on whether your computer can handle 64 bit integers or not.
Bitfields, although not as simple to implement, can handle (to my
knowledge) much more than 64b.  Someone converted CircleMUD v3.0bpl8 to
use bitfields.  It might not be hard to apply that to CircleMUD v3.0bpl11
and actually it shouldn't be difficult to diff stock pl8 with the changed
pl8 then patch that into pl11 and do any rejects manually.

Good luck.