Re: [ADMIN] Copyright issues

From: Derek L. Karnes (dkarnes@mystech.com)
Date: 10/17/96

Ebon Mists wrote:

> > Greetings,
> >    It has recently come to my attention that a disgruntled
> > former Imp of Phoenix mud has released our full distribution
> > to the public.  I found this out in a rather rude fashion
> > when I came across one of my areas, which is copyrighted,
> > on another mud.
>
> Just so you know, you cannoy copyright something just by placing a Copyright
> blah blah on it.

True, but since he created it, he gets an "automatic" intellectual copyright.
Labelling it with "CopyRight blah blah" is merely a label to let
copyright-violaters know they are breaking a copyright by copying it... one of the
criteria for punishing a copyright violation.

> Unless you went through the proper legal channels, your
> area is not copyrighted.

It does not hold a registered copyright.. there's a difference. He could get a
registered copyright, which would only ease prosecution of copyright violaters.

> >    There is not much I can do in this situation without having
> > to go to court over this, so I am appealing to all of the
> > imps and admins out there to respect other people's work
> > and the copyrights associated with them.
>
> Like I said before. I woudlnt waste your time with court.

I agree with you there.. prosecuting a copyright infraction can take several years
and many thousands of dollars.

> Hades, I'm no lawyer but I do know a bit about copyright laws.

learn more at:
http://www.ladas.com/GUIDES/COMPUTER/Copyright.USA.html

-Derek Karnes
--