Re: [errors]

From: Steve Reeves (dormammu@voicenet.com)
Date: 10/26/96

> > > just added races with race.doc and am compiling for first time and got
> > > these errors.
> > >
> > > In file included from comm.c:29:
> > > utils.h:437: parse error before '->'
> > > *** error code 1
> > > make: fatal error: Command failed for target 'comm.o'
> > > make: fatal error: Command failed for target 'all'
> > >
> > > any ideas?.....
> > >
> > You have a parse error :)  look around line 29 in comm.c for one,
> > and then check any macros used around that line, and anything
> > defined around them (the macros that is).
> >
> I'm an extreme newbie to complicated coding.....What's a parse error?
> also line 29 is:
>
> #include "utils.h"

Okay, actually.. I remember this problem from when I installed races..
[I can just hear the entire list groan as they remember all the
questions I asked constantly.. :> ]

I think you've fallen prey to the horrid 'invisible garbage characters'
syndrome.  I'm guessing you used cut 'n paste to move stuff from race.doc
to utils.h.  Go to all the lines you added in utils.h, erase them
totally, then retype the exact same thing over again.  Don't use any
copying functions to copy the code from races.doc to utils.h .... the
problem will go away.  :>  [If you didn't copy 'n paste the stuff in,
then I dunno what's wrong.. check any #defines you added to make sure
they're correct, and check any macros.]