Re: Re: Unix Tar/Multihit

From: Richard Mckay (rmckay@execpc.com)
Date: 10/28/96

I know, I know, this is NOT a unix mailing list, but here is a tasty
tid-bit for Linux users and the tar command.

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, George wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Eric de Groot wrote:
>
> > tar -x circle30bpl11.tar and tar x circle30bpl11.tar and some other
>
> try 'tar -xf circle30bpl11.tar', and make sure you've done a
> 'gzip -d circle30bpl11.tar.gz' first

With Linux and the gnu tools, you can untar gziped file directly with:

	tar xvfz <filename.tar.gz>

The "z" will filter the file thtough gunzip before untaring the archive.

There ya have it.

Later,

Richard McKay
rmckay@execpc.com