Re: [Off-Topic] Meridian 59

From: Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira (eduo@sparc.ciateq.conacyt.mx)
Date: 10/29/96

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Mark McArthey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has seen the game called 'Meridian 59'??
> It is being advertised as a graphical interface MUD.
> It looks ok as far as graphics go, but I'm curious how the
> gameplay is.  The success of it depends on people buying
> the game and liking the interface.  Like many products, there
> are most likely copycats to follow.  Anyone have opinions on
> how this type of product might affect the standard text-based
> muds?

I was a beta tester for this game and it is very good, it is just more
inclined on the DOOM type of game than to the MUD type of game, it has
some RPG-ish things, like magic, food and the like, but mostly it is a
multiplayer doom clone...

It is a disk hog, only exists for Windows 95 and you must have a very
fast and reliable connection.

The game is divided by non-marked sectors, you can traverse this sectors
at will, but every time you do so the game kind of 'burps' because it is

You can buy and sell items, as well as talk with other players and use
message boards.

Al the art and maps are stored in the hard disk, one of the early betas
took more than 32 megs in the hard disk when installed, and started
downloading new art (a la AOL) when I connected.

The graphics are well done, generally, if a little cartoonish at times
(which contrasts with other images in the game which are obviously
rendered).

All in all I wouldn't get the game if it is not shareware, It may not
worht it... Although the guys made a wonderful job I see it as a stepping
stone to more ambitious projects.

I recommend you to take a look at DragonSpires and Rubies of Eventide,
which seem a little more polished (search them in Infoseek, I don't have
the links right now.

There is also a Webpage which lists most graphical MUDs out there, called
something like Virtual Worlds.

Luckl

Myth
Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira                  eduo@sparc.ciateq.conacyt.mx
Administrador de Internet                            Internet Administrator
Proveedor de Servicio Internet    CIATEQ, A.C.    Internet Service Provider
 Centro de Investigacion y Asistencia Tecnica del Estado de Queretaro, A.C.
                     http://sparc.ciateq.conacyt.mx/