Re: [Circle] Newbie...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/01/96

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Derek L. Karnes wrote:

> > but I'd like to know how difficult it would be
> > to redesign the basic classes, skills, weaponry etcetera to make a mud
> > from circle mud that isn't fantasy based.
>
> classes: easy
> skills: fairly easy
> weaponry: easy
> etc: depends on what kind of base your going to ... I'm guessing Sci fi or military,
> which means guns and that means not much melee.. It might take quite a bit modifying to
> get a gun fight to be interesting and realistic.

It might be interesting to get any kind of fighting in a mud
realistic and interesting.  Last time I checked, getting slashed
through the stomach was just as bad for you as getting shot in
the chest...  But since mud characters oft survive these things
and most players don't like it when the first person to type
"k bob" wins the fight, mud combat is something that will have to
live as unrealistic until I get around to making the whole system
a bunch of misses, dodges, parries, blocks, and two weapons
clanging together to the point where the player gets aggitated
and thorughly perturbed that while he can cut off Tim's head, it
would be much more fun to beat the hell out of him with a herring,
because at least combat wouldn't consist of "You miss him."  :)

> > That means not just setting up circlemud & adding / changing things, but
> > redesigning the whole thing.
>
> If you're going to redesign the whole thing, just get the TCP/IP stuff from a book in
> your local library and start from the ground up. That way you can make a buck or two
> when you finish :)

Ouch, you're missing the point of running a mud if you want to
make a cheap buck off of recycled ideas.

> > Of course I'm pretty new to C programming, so
> > don't know if it's worth the bother at all.
>
> It will definitely get you better at programming, so it's worth the bother in that
> respect.

Two words (or one with a hyphen): uh-oh.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com