Re[2]: [Circle] Win95 - HELP!

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 11/02/96

 Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@california.com> wrote: (Fri, 1 Nov 1996 23:29:24 -0800 (PST))

 >  On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Yoink! wrote:
 >
 >  > On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Prometheus wrote:
 >  >
 >  > > Got another problem.. i got my mud running locally.. it works when i logon
 >  > > (127.0.0.1 or localhost) but when someone else tries to connect it is
 >  > > really slow... i'm using circlemud ported to win95 ... anyone know why it
 >  >                                                ^^^^^
 >  >                                                ^^^^^
 >  >                                                ^^^^^
 >  >                                                ^^^^^
 >  > > is lagging so much?
 >  >
 >  > Sorry couldn't resist :p  We need more info tho, how heavily have you
 >  > modified it and what processor you got?
 >
 >  Actually, that's probably the major reason why it's lagging so
 >  horribly.  Simply put, anything that tries to be pretty as hard
 >  as Win95 does, will have a few short-comings (power, speed, how
 >  easy it is for advanced users to get to features without having to
 >  go through a billion menus)...

Hmm. Then why do I write code on win95, and test on it? Because it works
and it's a hell of a lot easier to debug problems than with GDB. It also
allows me to stay organized and have all the information I need at my
fingertips.. Pictures ARE easier than command line.. provided you can
configure your pictures to efficiently organize your work. As to actually
running a production mud on windows.. I agree, it's just not stable
enough and lacks key requirements for a server OS.

As to the problem stated here, it seems that you need to figure out
where your processor time is going.. if you have MSVC you could configure
it to profile your code.. find out what's eating all the processor time..

alternatively, set break points at the places where the code starts to
take a long period of time and see if you can reproduce it by stepping
through the code.. if you can't that tells you something too...

First i'd look for an external problem though.. Circle seems very well
behaved on win95 on my machine..

If you have less than 48M RAM then I can't attest to it's stability as I
have not tried with less (though that's circle, msvc, netscape, exchange,
zmud and a few other odds and ends running)

Put network cards in two pcs and try it on a lan .. if you have a code
problem it should isolate quite well with 100K/sec+ bandwidth :-)

Oh one last thought.. try turning off name resolution (config.c -- nameserver)

Hope this helps..

--Gary

-- http://www.polarnet.com/Users/gbarnett/ -- telnet://mud.polarnet.com:4000