Re: [Circle] Adding a POS_ position BEFORE POS_DEAD

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/20/96

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Daniel W. Burke wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Jack Wilson wrote:
>
> > >I want to insert a POS_ZOMBIE position in my player positions
> > >before POS_DEAD, thus bumping all the existing positions up by
> > >one.  I've scanned different bits of the code (esp. handler and
> > >fight) and don't forsee any problems with this, but wanted to
> > >ask first.. So.. is it safe to do this?
> >
> > This approach will break the CircleMUD socials DB, which stores
> > all positions as numbers instead of strings.
> >

> can't forget the mob positions in the mob file either, if you plan on
> keeping the stock world it would be a big hassle

Easy enough.  Just load them as they are, then have a function to
write them out in the new format.  Then shutdown the MUD, change it
to load in the new format, and presto!  Really easy.  It's one of those
things that helped me implement my social editor (of course, I had
to change the socials file format to include the min actor pos and
min actor level).

I have a bunch of routines that save out all of a zone's rooms, objs,
mobs, quests, clans, scripts, and then the socials file, too.  So I
can change any file's format.  I changed many of the numeric fields
into strings.  So, on the default position line of mobs, I have:

  St St M

Where St=Standing and M=Male.

--
Daniel Koepke