Re: [newbie] rent problems

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/01/96

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Joe Frohne wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a pretty basic question.  I am running the circle3.0p11.  The
> problem I am having is in renting.  If a character rents, his items are
> not stored and just drop to the ground.  It works this way regardless if
> I charge for rent or not.  If I charge for rent, the receptionist leads
> him to his room and says stores objects.  When player returns, hes in the
> inn, but alas, his items are on the ground.
>
> Am I missing a patch or is there a setting I overlooked?
>
> Also, I was trying to put items on new characters.  I tried to use the
> obj_to_char() function.  This did not seem correct and crashed the mud.
> Any hints on that is also welcome!

I'll bet you're running Windows95 and you don't have the plrobjs
subdirectories.  There should be:

  circle30bpl11/lib/plrobjs/A-E
                    plrobjs/F-J
                    plrobjs/K-O
                    plrobjs/P-T
                    plrobjs/U-Z
                    plrobjs/ZZZ

If those directories don't exist, create them.  The only way for
CircleMUD to save the inventory of a player is to write it out to
the player object files in those directories.  If those directories
don't exist, the objects aren't written out and they are all dropped
to the room instead.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com