Re: Tanking Character

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/03/96

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Brian Guilbault wrote:

> Regarding tanking characters again:
>
> I had to work late last night and didn't get to code it, but basically
> I'm just going to define *tank as FIGHTING(FIGHTING(ch)), add
> GET_NAME(tank) to the prompt, then display a message based upon his
> percentage of hit points. I'm sure I won't have a problem with it, as I
> coded mob cinditions in the prompt long ago. I realize that this can get
> ugly if two groups are in the same room fighting a mob, or the group
> isn't attacking the same mob, but I'm not looking to cover EVERY case, I
> just want to have a simple little routine which will work 90+ percent of
> the time and it seems that this will do the trick.

There can only be only one tank, so there isn't a problem with two
groups in the same room.  The person whom is getting hit is essentially
tanking for everyone else whom is fighting the mobile, no matter if
they're in their group or not.

> Regarding the afk thread. I just have a simple afk toggle which sets a
> flag in who and tells people telling the char that they are afk and might
> not get this. The tell still goes through though.
>
> If any of you have ever seen Ebon Mists afk, you have seen an impressive
> command (grats Hades :-) ) You can specify an argument like "afk smoking
> a ciggarette". Then when someones tells to you, they see "Dante is afk
> smoking a ciggarette". Then when you come back and type something, you
> get a list page_string'd to you with all of the messages, who they were
> from, and what time they came through. Pretty impressive.

Not really.  I did the same thing a long time ago (Nov. 1995 I guess).
It's actually quite easy. :)

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com