Re: obj sending

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/14/96

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Terry Valladon wrote:

> does anyone have a way for me to send OBJ's on the mud...
> IE you go to the post office and type

I just wrote this code (finished about 30 seconds ago :)) upon
reading this message.  It turned out to be quite easy and quick,
so no-one should have any problems figuring it out.  A few easy
tests reveal that it's working (perfectly?) correct.

Here goes:

structs.h
=========
  // In struct descriptor_data, add:
  sh_int mail_vnum;			// mailing obj of this vnum

mail.h
======

  // In struct header_data_type, add:
  sh_int vnum;

  // Above the struct header_data_type, find the function prototypes and
  // change the following the prototypes for store_mail() and
  // read_delete() to:
  void  store_mail(long to, long from, sh_int vnum, char *message_pointer);
  char *read_delete(long recipient, int *obj_vnum);

mail.c
======
  // change store_mail() to:
  void store_mail(long to, long from, sh_int vnum, char *message_pointer)
  {

  // add this line just below "header.header_data.to = to;" in store_mail
  header.header_data.vnum = vnum;

  // change read_delete() to:
  char *read_delete(long recipient, int *obj_vnum)
  {

  // add this line just before the sprintf(buf, ...); call:
  *obj_vnum = header.header_data.vnum;

  // in postmaster_send_mail(), add:
  char buf2[256];
  struct obj_data *obj;
  extern struct index_data *obj_index;

  // and change "one_argument(arg, buf);" to:
  two_arguments(arg, buf, buf2);

  // after the "if ((recipient = get_id_by_name(buf)) < 0) {...}" block,
  // add:
  if (*buf2 && (obj = get_obj_in_list_vis(ch, buf2, ch->carrying))) {
    act("$n takes $p and readies it for packing.",
        FALSE, mailman, obj, ch, TO_VICT);
    extract_obj(obj);
    ch->desc->mail_vnum = GET_OBJ_VNUM(obj);
  }

  // you might want to make it cost more money for sending objects, or
  // you could even base it upon the weight (STAMP_PRICE+(weight*10))?
  // I didn't bother to

  // in postmaster_receive_mail(), add:
  struct obj_data *sent_obj;
  int obj_vnum;

  // change "obj->action_description = read_delete(GET_IDNUM(ch));" to:
  obj->action_description = read_delete(GET_IDNUM(ch), &obj_vnum);

  // after "act("$N gives $n a piece of mail", FALSE, ch, 0, mailman,
  // TO_ROOM);" add:
  if (obj_vnum != NOTHING && real_object(obj_vnum) != NOTHING) {
    sent_obj = read_object(real_object(obj_vnum), REAL);
    obj_to_char(sent_obj, ch);
    act("$n gives you $p.", FALSE, mailman, sent_obj, ch, TO_VICT);
    act("$n gives $N $p.", FALSE, mailman, sent_obj, ch, TO_NOTVICT);
  }

modify.c
========

  // find the call to store_mail() and change it to:
  store_mail(d->mail_to, GET_IDNUM(d->character), d->mail_vnum, *d->str);

That should be it.  I might have forgotten something, so don't go about
mindlessly.  If someone wants me to, I'll make a patch out of it, but I
don't think it's neccessary.  Nothing really major, there.

BTW, as with most of the code I post to this list, this is written on
more or less the spur of the moment.  I have no intention of using this
code in my current MUD project.  I did bother to test this code, though,
and it worked fine transfering the items when the mail was sent and
received during the same boot, and also after a reboot.  But since it's
largely up to how well you interpret what I've said and how well I've
presented this information, I can't garuantee that it'll work for you.
Hopefully you'll get it to work.  If you really need a patch made, I'll
make for stock bpl11.

There is probably a hundred other ways to do this samething, but I found
this way the easiest, quickest, and smallest implementation.  Good luck!

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com