Re: RE : On spliting the list.. please!!!

From: Joe Frohne (frohne@post.its.mcw.edu)
Date: 12/17/96

In order for a list serve to be usefull, you don't want to segregate the
people who have the knowledge and those who don't.  A newbie list would
serve no purpose.  If a newbie list just contains those who are not adept
to running/coding/building a mud, how are they going to learn from those
who have allready made the same mistakes?

>From an elitist stand point, yes, seperating the list will get rid of the
newbie questions.  However, if you don't want to read the newbie
questions, it is not a big deal to just flush them.  Perhaps informing
them of the standards of the listserve is a more fitting solution and
stress anything that a low level question should be preceded by [NEWBIE].

Not to mention the fact that in the future, they may become proficient
and be able to contribute to the list in a more usefull way.

Joe

P.S. Yes, I am a newbie to the list, I have coded some things without the
list, but it has given me ideas and pointers to things I may not have
otherwise seen.  So, the list does serve a purpose to newbies.