Re: RE : On spliting the list.. please!!!

From: Shawn J. Wallace (shawn@gusto.net)
Date: 12/19/96

> Splitting the list and requiring that advanced users pass some sort of
> 'test' is the lamest idea I have heard.  There is a large grey area
> between the 'newbie' coder and the advanced coder.  Any test you put forth
> would be an excercise in futility as well as elitism.  If you get a newbie
> question that you don't think should be asked, then ignore it.  If you
> don't like getting newbie mail, then either unsubscribe to this list, or
> start your own with yourself and 2 of your friends as the only
> subscribers.  That seems to be the type of list you want anyways.  If
> you're so 'advanced' why would you need to subscribe to this mailing list
> anyways?  So, don't split the list!  I'd rather have a mailing list
> comprised solely of newbies than of you egotistical butt-head coders who
> think they'er too good to help out some novice coders who are just looking
> for a little assistance and insight.

Perhaps a few people have misinterpreted - I'm not saying that newbie
coders should be left out in the dark, but I get around 500 e-mail
messages every day, and its more than just a small hassle to weed out the
junk.  What I *don't* like seeing is people that ask for everyone else to
do their work for them - we all need help at one time or another, but
there are just too many messages saying the same things.

Shawn

P.S.  The Test idea was not mine, and I'm not overly fond of it.