Re: Changing auto_exit look

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/31/96

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Brian Jones wrote:

> Now what I want to do is be able to have a player type  "close east" or
> "open north" and be able to access that door by direction, instead of
> having to type "close gate" or "open door" ... any advice on doing this?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Isn't some form of this already implemented on stock Circle?  I don't
think it permits you to completely eliminate the keyword of the door,
though.  If you can just use the direction (open e, open n, close s)
then you've completely obsoleleted the need for keywords since no-one
will bother to type "open trapdoor" when they can type "open d".

Anyway, if you still want to do it, it wouldn't be too hard.  As simple
as changing find_door().  Find the lines:

  } else {			/* try to locate the keyword */
    if (!*type) {
      sprintf(buf2, "What is it you want to %s?\r\n", cmdname);
      send_to_char(buf2, ch);
      return -1;
    }
    for (door = 0; door < NUM_OF_DIRS; door++)
      if (EXIT(ch, door))
        if (EXIT(ch, door)->keyword)
          if (isname(type, EXIT(ch, door)->keyword))
            return door;

And add...

    if ((door = search_block(type, dirs, FALSE)) != -1)
      return door;

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com