Re: [crash]harumph

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/02/97

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, pjh wrote:

> harumph.  I just added some stuff and was coding away happily when me mud
> crashed or rebooted actually.
>
> the syslog.CRASH had this as a funny thing.
>
> Sun Dec 29 13:53:35 :: SYSERR: CHECKPOINT shutdown: tics not updated
>
> any help pointing to the right file for debugging would be greaT!
>
> limits.c?

Infinite loop or code that is taking longer than 3 minutes to finish.
CircleMUD is setup to automatically shutdown when it's inactive for 3
minutes.  Now, we can't tell you where it's happening, because it can
simply be happening anywhere in the code.  So, what you could do is
startup the MUD, logon and figure out how it's getting locked up.  Then
while the MUD is locked up, kill it with the SIGV signal (done with
'kill -s 11 <pid>' on my computer).  This will cause a core dump, so
you can see what the MUD was doing while locked up with a debugger (gdb).

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com