Re: [DRIVEN CRAZY][Newbie] Objects Do NOT Save???

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/06/97

> I haven't really changed much of the code... I just
> downloaded circlebp30l11.tar.gz and then compiled on
> a 100Mhz Pentium Running Win95 and used the Compiler
> MSVCV4.0 and it seems to compile just fine... however
>    I have set it so player do NOT have to Rent, they merely
> save and quit... well that's what my char's are doing but it
> ISNT saving?? Whats up?

The reason that objects aren't saved when your players quit is that
certain unzip programs are buggy and don't completely recreate the MUD's
directory structure (in particular, it doesn't create directories which
have no files in them.)

To fix, you must manually create the appropriate directories.  Go to
Circle's home directory, then go into the LIB\PLROBJS directory, i.e.

cd \circlemud30bpl11
cd lib\plrobjs

Then create these directories:

MKDIR A-E
MKDIR F-J
MKDIR K-O
MKDIR P-T
MKDIR U-Z
MKDIR ZZZ

Object saving should then work.  The syslogs are a different story; no
data is written to the system logs because the code currently is
configured simply to write all errors to the standard error file
descriptor (stderr), and Windows doesn't seem to let you redirect stderr
to a file the same way UNIX does.  pl12 will let you direct logs to a
specific file instead.

Aliases don't save simply because no code exists to save aliases yet.. I
never wrote it.  That should also be fixed with pl12.

I don't know when pl12 is coming out. :)

Jeremy