RE: Win95

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@polarnet.com)
Date: 02/03/97

True enough. Though experimentation is something I would encourage.. If
someone starts a mud and is in over their head, they will eventually stop
running the mud, or figure out how to redo it once they gain a clue. The
lessons learned will help them be a good builder, player or administrator;
wherever their talents lie.

>I personally liked it better when muds were harder to set up and
>configure, because then they were original.  In the past 6 months I have
>seen more and more code this for me, or is  there a patch requests than
>ever before.

How long does it take to determine a mud is 'basically stock'? Not long for me,
and I would think most others. Until a mud is 'ready', it isn't a game to me, it's
just a bunch of code trying to be a game, and succeding to a greater or lesser
degree depending on the time spent on it and the talents of it's creators.

I use OPC (other people's code) when it will save me a large amount of time and
when the features closely match what I intended to write anyway.  The best example
I can think of is the improved edit patch. Though the auto-wear patch for eq is another
good example. It implements pure functionality and saves the users of it a good deal
of time.

The best example of a bad patch I can see is mobprogs. If you want a scripting
system for your mud, write it yourself.. you'll gain much insight into how things work
and can make many improvements over what the mobprog patch will give you.

>I guess this is what happens when the Internet becomes more and more common.
>The elite who were the majority are now the minority to the average user.

Hmm. Don't have a problem with that either :-) When my mud is ready for players
(about another year) it will most certainly stand out.. Time will tell if it's any fun and
if people decide to spend time on it. If everyone hates it, I will just have to try again
with a different theme  :-)

>Good luck with your MUD.

Thanks!

>Monroe - Eternal

--Mallory

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:

> [...]

         , A ,
 /-,/-,/~`Y;Y`~\,-\,-\         Michael A. Clubine (maclubin@syr.edu)
          `Y`                   E t e r n a l  (smith.syr.edu 4000)
           }   Dragon by:	     http://borogove.syr.edu/
          {     Dan Hunt
           }                    "The land of Eternal awaits you..."