Is there a way to check to see what I have running in the background and getting rid of what I dont want?

From: Shaw J (meadsh@ece.orst.edu)
Date: 02/03/97

Well I have these options for my OS: Win95, Sun, and HP/UX and it seems
like the majority kick me toward SunOS even though I am not a wiz when
it comes to UNIX...

I come up with alot of errors that I cannot solve... so I will ask them
here :)

currently I am running out of SunOS and I seem to be in a nasty
<AUTORUN - CRASH> loop where nothing ever goes into the syslog, but I
always seem to have a syslog.CRASH, even when I delete it!  It pops up
again right away...

This is what it contains:

autorun starting game Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 PST 1997
running bin/circle -q 4000
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Quick boot mode -- rent check supressed.
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Using lib as data directory.
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Running game on port 4000.
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Finding player limit.
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Setting player limit to 248 using rlimit.
Mon Feb  3 16:23:58 :: Opening mother connection.
bind: Address already in use

Now I have tried to run it several times, so I may be causing myself
this problem...

Is there a way to check to see what I have running in the background
and  getting rid of what I dont want?

Thanks,
sjm