[SYSTEM][newbie] compile stockcode on HP-UX system

From: Amir Vosteen (amir@elmat01.et.tudelft.nl)
Date: 02/04/97

In respone to: Shaw J (And my own eagerness)

I tried to compile circlemud ver30 patchl11 on a HP-UX system
series HP 9000. I compiled with gcc. During compilation there
where no errors, only warnings. When running the mud it crashes
right after the 'Sorting command list and spells.' logline.

I dont have the <sys/select.h> header file. My guess is that this unix version
only expects one pointer in the function select? Anyone know how to handle
this problem?

Thanks, Amir
------------------------------
Here is a short list of the message i get when i compile the mud:

	gcc -c -O -Wall -fno-strict-prototypes  comm.c

  comm.c:472: warning: passing arg 2 of `select' from incompatible pointer type
  comm.c:472: warning: passing arg 3 of `select' from incompatible pointer type
  comm.c:472: warning: passing arg 4 of `select' from incompatible pointer type
(also at linenr: 533 and 545)

20 warnings about the use of GR3:
  as: /usr/tmp/cca13533.s @line#3028 [err#13]
    (warning) Use of GR3 when frame>=8192 may cause conflict
And finally one warning about posibel bad programming in olc.c:
  olc.c: In function `do_olc':
  olc.c:73: warning: `vnum' may be used uninitialized in this function

line 472 from comm.c:
  if (select(mother_desc + 1, &input_set, (fd_set *) 0, (fd_set *) 0, NULL)
     < 0) {

My guess is that the warnings about GR3 are just that, The code of olc.c
is probably not save but that is not the problem here.