Re: percentile

From: Mark Crichton (crichton@citynet.net)
Date: 02/08/97

> From: Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@california.com>
>
> On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Brian Williams - Nashak wrote:
>
> > question... would
> > int percent = (GET_HIT(victim) / dam) * 100;
> > always return 100?
> > I want it so that it'll go into decimals for the division, and then
> > * 100 would be the percent of hp you do in damage.. thanks for
> > a response =)
>
> Integers in C don't permit decimals.  So:
>
>   (25 / 2) * 100
>
> Will equal (12.5) * 100, and finally 1200.  That's probably not the
> desired result, no?

Now, if he wants to do decimals for the division, 25 / 2 will return an int,
but:

(int) percent = ( (float) GET_HIT(victim) / (float) dam) * 100.0;

Should do what he wants, although I don't know how much stuff will get lost in
all the casting (IMHO, it's an ugly way to do it...)  Any math experts out
there come up with a better way and keep it all int based?

Mark