Re: [IDEA] levelless mud

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/21/97

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Nic Suzor wrote:

> so, i am wondering how others have implemented the levelless system.
> this is the basic way i was thinking:
>
> players no longer gain exp or levels
> instead, players gain gold and eq

Erm, that just sets another definite goal aside from leveling, so now
they are going to horde equipment and compete to see who is richest,
can get the best eq. Hence, the eq supplants the need for levels and
it turns into a killfest again. Gold and equipment should be a part
of the game, not a goal of the game. Thus, I have made armor have as
many (if not more) downsides to it than it does upsides. Players have
to think before they go running through the desert wearing full plate
mail. If they try it, they'll die (and with permanent death, that's
not a good thing).

> hp, v, m, is gained by paying a trainer large sums of money, or is granted
> as a reward

I got rid of hitpoints and mana. Movements is calculated by how
hungry/thirsty/exhausted the person is. The more tired, the more
hungry, the more thirsty, the less the person can move. Hence, if
someone is nearly starving, nearly dehydrated, and barely awake,
the person won't get far before they collapse altogether. This is
one of the downsides of wearing armor. It's heavier, thus you
exert more energy when you move and get tired faster. Armor also
is hotter, so in hot climates, you'll get thirstier and hungrier
faster.

> spells and skills are learned through either discovering a book or
> discovering a guildmaster, which can teach special spells.

My learning system is so far based upon learning by the ropes.
You learn a particular skill/spell group somehow (eg., you have
'combat' and 'movement' coming into the game). Everything is
learned through mistake. Failure to use a skill/spell in a long
time will degrade it's use. So, if you don't ride a horse in three
months, you'll be a bit rusty at it (although, you'll learn how
to again twice as fast as it took you to learn it in the first
place). Guildmasters can teach you skillgroups.

> religion will play a large part. find a god, pray to them, and something
> interesting happens...

Religion is a very small part in my Mud world. Alignment has a
massive part, religion is beliefs, but the alignment of people is
where things are going on. It affects the balance of the mud world
(I got this from the Global Alignment discussion earlier on), and
adverse things happen with the swinging of that balance.

> there must also be a theme to the mud. as it is in stock circle, there is
> no real theme to the mud, its just a bunch of rooms stuck together. i would
> have to make it seem less like a bunch of zones and more like a whole
> world, with a theme and ordered parts...

Of course. I have a very detailed and long theme. Without revealing
the plots, quests, and answers to the major part of the game, the world
is low tech (roughly medieval technology, although not consistently).
It features few races (Human, Half-Giant, and Weren), although each is
very well built and has it's origins clearly defined. Other types of
creatures exist that players cannot be. Dragons, etc. although their
origins are lost.

> now, i cant think of how a mortal would immort, or if they would immort. do
> they need gold? the heads of a certain number of other mortals ? random?
> chosen by a diety ? something like that ?

Immortal is not a status gained, but a birthright. In my game, an
immortal doesn't get special powers, they just live forever and
don't die unless they lose their head (like in Highlander). When
all immortals are dead, that person becomes invincible and rules
the world. Unfortunately for these immortals, there is a lot of
competition (player and mobile wise), and not just among their own
kind, but among the Darklings (Vampires). Vampires are made during
the course of the game, not chosen.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com