Re: [Idea] Highlander

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/27/97

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Shapeshifter wrote:

>         To me this sounds simple enough (at least the idea). You can
> make a system without mobs or at least with the usual experience tables
> that the other MUDs are based on. As stated above, players get things
> depending on how many players they killed, and the more power another
> player had, the more powerful you would become for killing them. There
> would have to be a way from preventing a player from creating 200 newbie
> characters and having 1 more with more power that off's them all.

It's actually alot like stock muds. If you get your head cut off, it's
permanent death. If not, you come back to life (you can either leave
it how it currently is or have the person repopulate their own body
after a short period of time). Immortals in Highlander's wounds heal
quickly, so a mud mimics it. There's a whole wealth of things about
the Highlander system that makes it very easy to implement within the
frame of the mud.

> It would be a lot of work to make a MUD based around this, but in the
> end I think it might be the ideal player killing system with theme.

I really don't think so. In fact, I think it'd be very little work
in comparison to other ideas. I mean, you create a 'behead' command,
so player's can behead another immortal, with it, they get exp if
the other person was an immortal (no exp for regular killing), and
the person that got beheaded gets booted completely out of the game
and has PLR_DELETE set on them.

The "dark quickening" idea is pretty much covered by alignment
changes. Although, if you wanted to be really cool, you'd make the
game skill based and have skills transferred through a quickening.

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com