Re: About OasisOLC/medit

From: R. E. Paret (rparet@POLYMAIL.CALPOLY.EDU)
Date: 07/12/97

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Heartless wrote:

> I'm almost positive this has already been discussed (so I apologize for
> repeating it), but I absolutely couldn't find what I was looking for in
> the archive.
> medit (of OasisOLC) crashes when you try to save mobs.  This is
> undesirable :).  I found one post at the archive saying that medit
> couldn't deal with NULL fields, but even after I made sure all the fields
> were filled, medit still crashed.
> I'm sort of praying that this issue has been brought to the point of a
> fix being available somewhere..
> Anyone know what's going on with this?
>
> Thanks

Ok, this is coming strictly from my not-so-good memory, but..

I believe there is a problem with libc free() (in Linux) which causes that
crash.  I believe that there is a certain condidtion in which the medit
function (or a subfunction) tries to return memory that hasn't been
allocated.  I think your best bet is to try to tackle the problem with
gdb.