Re: [NEW IDEA?] Binary Pfile Editing system

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 07/29/97

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM wrote:

>     Quote ------>
>Whether online, or offline, I would love to see a "pfile editor" become
>available, even in an OLC style format, even just an external program to
>run from the unix prompt that presents a menu with commands like list
>players, add, delete, modify... things like that.  This is an idea I was
>thinking about, but i'll be the first to admit I haven't the skills to
>make it.  Anyone want to take a crack at it?
>
>     hmmm.... set file <attribute> <setting>  doesn't do it for ya?

The original post also doesn't take into account that the person might be
online at the time you change them.  Thus, all changes would be nullified.
Much easier to just log on and set/set file. (Refer to previous mails a
month or so ago about why purgeplay was scrambling the pfile and you'll
realize another downfall.)

I'd rather just see ASCII pfiles in the stock code personally.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
http://www.muohio.edu/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard