Re: [NEWBIE] CircleMUD and problems with other programs

From: Christopher M. Ryan (drizzt@VISI.NET)
Date: 07/29/97

>I have been coding my MUD for a while and i have added a few things to
the
>code but nothing drastic.  Until recently I was just going to have to
spend
>a lot of money to run my MUD but now I found someone who will do it for
free
>on his server.  What I need to know before I go ahead and do this and
start
>causing problems is how does CircleMUD interfere with web servers, mail
>servers, and other communications programs that are running?  On a
Windows
>NT 4.0 server running multiple programs would MUD crashes and general MUD
>use cause problems with the other programs or cause them to crash as
well?
>I have heard all about MUD crashes but I haven't actually seen one and I
>don't know what it does to the system.  Also, with 32 mb ram and a
pentium
>pro 200 would the system be slowed down by the MUD?  I would hate for his
>system to crash and cause him to lose business because of the MUD.
>Any advice would be helpful.
I program on windows myself and have found that you can decrease the
executable size and increase the speed of execution (if only by a little,
not sure exactly) by using all of windows functions rather than dos
functions. What i mean by this is instead of using sprintf use wsprint
etc... there is a whole slew (spelling?) of functions that you can do this
with. I once did a mass search and replace on all files replacing all the
functions i could find and it woked perfectly.... wel until i accidentally
replaced something i shouldn't have :)

As far as performance... I have run muds and some other deamons on NT4.0
and performance, that i saw, was fine but also know that 32 meg will not
cut it if you are running several applications. But, I think you should see
for yourself as you never really know.

Hope this helps, any.

Chris the wanna be creator.