Re: Comparing with SMAUG

From: Desmond Daignault (tekdd@DTOL.DATATIMES.COM)
Date: 07/31/97

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Sammy wrote:

=>
=>I've done some work on file-based spells.  Since the majority of spells
=>fall into the categories of damage, healing, or affect-setting, those can
=>easily be put in a file.  If you want to get fancy you could use a
=>scripting language to take the place of some of the custom spell code.
=>

I also have done and am almost totally finished with this project.  I
basically used the tag system that was developed for our own ascii pfile.
Along with this, I combined the wear_off and other spell related messages
(other than the damage messages, I saw no need to mess with it.) into the
spell struct.  Basically, if it isn't in the text spell file (tag not
there that is), the value would default to 0.  So.. skills just need the
level list, and a name, and not much else. While spells use most of the
tag values.

I don't recommend this method for the faint of heart. As it has taken me
several months to get the bugs worked out. Mostly because I yanked out all
of the existing spell code and replaced it with an event driven one.

The main reason I have been putting most things into Ascii files is the
fact that I hate "mile" long array initializations, like the spell table
was getting to be. Next on my list is the command table...

--

Dez.

void signature () {
  printf ("Praise not the day until evening has come; a woman\n"
          "until she is burnt; a sword until it is tried; a maiden until\n"
          "she is married; ice until it has been  crossed; beer until it\n"
          "has been drunk.   -- Viking Proverb\n");
}