C++ question

From: Michael J. McGillick (mike@DUNGEON-MASTER.COM)
Date: 08/06/97

Hello All:

In the source code, I know that there are lines similar to:

    sprintf(buf, "Running game on port %d.", port);
    log(buf);

I do understand that the purpose of this is to build a string in buf, and
then send it to the log function.  I'm currently working on porting the
code to C++, and was wondering if anyone new of the corresponding C++
equivalent to writing a stream to a buffer.  With the normal cout and cerr
commands, the string is written out to screen immediately, insted of being
stored in a buffer.

I apologize if this is a stretch for an appropriate question for this
list.  Thanks for any help.

- Mike