[GDB help]

From: Anthony Appel (appelae@RAINIER.CHEM.PLU.EDU)
Date: 08/10/97

Well right now I have a stock circle code with the 128 bitvector code
added in.  It compiles perfectly however when anyone logs in it crashes
with a segmentation fault. I did wipe my playerfile so the playerfile
should be fine.  Anyway the problem I'm having (besides the error) is
making gdb work.  I can get gdb to run fine and run my program and I
eventually get this error.

New Connection. Waking up.
Zervun [Localhost] has connected
Zervun entering the game with no equipment.

Program recieved signal SIGSEGV, segmentation fault.
0x804dcac in look_at_room (ch=0x80e2e20, ignore_brief = 0)
                at act.informative.c:361
(gdb) bt
#0 0x804dcac in look_at_room(ch=0x80e2e20, ignore_brief = 0)
                at act.informative.c:361
#1 0x806fc71 in nanny (d = 0x80dfc90, arg = 0xbffff544 "1") at
intterpreter.c 1560
#2 0x8049d12 in game loop (mother_desc = 5) at comm.c 595

Now I figured I had to do a backtrace and then stepping it every step but
that can only be done with a core file correct?  However I can't figure
out how to create a core file - the gdb man page was kinda crappy.  I
tried gdb bin/circle core1 but it says that core1 no such file or
directory so I imagine that I'm doing something wrong.

as for the error how do you diagnose the gdb output (probably be much
easier with stepping it). I can figure out something in Look_at_room is
screweing up but not much more than that.

Any help on the error or what I'm doing wrong in gdb would be appreciated.

appelae@rainer.chem.plu.edu