Re: [newbie] exits

From: Ron Cole (roncole@SHORE.INTERCOM.NET)
Date: 08/15/97

>I finally got a wild hair and started poking at obuild again, and I was
>wondering if I could get some opinions on the current state of olc (both
>oasis and obuild).  I'm most interested in knowing what the most tedious
>aspects of either are, and also the most confusing.  If you've got any
>experience with other olc packages and have seen a better way of doing
>things, I'd love to hear from you.

I think what's needed more than anything else, are docs on all the things you
need to check for when adding a new room/obj/mob/shop into their sorted arrays,
and ways to get around them.

I'm thinking, you'll need to store the vnum along side of everything that stores
an rnum, so it'll be easier to update after you add something.  Inserting new
stuff seems to be Oasis' main downfall.  It looks like sammy just added to the
end of the arrays, but that slows down all the searches for vnums.  Perhaps you
could modify the searches to remember the last sorted element, binary search
thru the sorted part, and then sequential search the unsorted elements.  This
was the approach used on a lot of ISAM file systems.

Ron