[Code] Info channels for newbie implementors

From: Serapi (roland@INTERPATH.COM)
Date: 08/24/97

Hey all.
        I thought this would be handy for the newbie imps trying to start a mud.  It's
an easy method of creating a global info channel for levels and deaths.
(Note:  The following snippet assumes that you have easycolor installed in your mud.  If
you don't, ignore the \\cXX color codes)

For level Info:

In the file limits.c, find this:

    if (is_altered)
      if (num_levels == 1) {
        send_to_char("You rise a level!\r\n", ch);

Add a { after the line "if (is_altered) as such:

    if (is_altered) {
      if (num_levels == 1) {
        send_to_char("You rise a level!\r\n", ch);

Add these lines directly after

           sprintf(buf, "\\c04[Info] : %s has advanced to level %d!\\c00\r\n",
                GET_NAME(ch), GET_LEVEL(ch));
      send_to_all(buf);
      }

You can change the "\\c04[Info] : %s has advanced to level %d!\\c00\r\n" to suit your
needs, and I wish you would at that.. originality is a dying thing with MUDs nowadays.
After you've added those lines, compile and reboot.  It should work.

For death info:

In the file fight.c, find this:

    if (!IS_NPC(victim)) {
      sprintf(buf2, "%s killed by %s at %s", GET_NAME(victim), GET_NAME(ch),
              world[victim->in_room].name);
      mudlog(buf2, BRF, LVL_IMMORT, TRUE);

After "mudlog(buf2, BRF, LVL_IMMORT, TRUE);", add (something similar to) this:

      sprintf(buf, "\\c01[Info] : %s slain in battle by %s at %s!\\c00\r\n",
GET_NAME(victim), GET_NAME(ch), world[victim->in_room].name);
        send_to_all(buf);

Compile and reboot, should work.  And I think that if you study these snippets, you can
add your own info channel for death traps.  Hope this helps.

-Serapi