Re: Port Changing

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/28/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Yolan wrote:

-+Okay here is the the deal. I have been through all of the coding that I
-+know of that is required to change the port in Circle. I have even
-+uploaded it. Now it is giving me an old port. Does anyone have any idea
-+what is going wrong? Also what is the text editor in linux?

Okay, let's review where things are changed:
  *config.c, find the DFLT_PORT (or whatever it's called specifically) and
   change it. You must run "make" after this change in order for it to be
   taken into account.

  *autorun, if you use it, change the port there

  *on the command line; if you pass a number to CircleMUD it uses that
   port (eg., circle -q 4000)

As far text editors, Linux doesn't have *a* text editor.  It has text
editors, ported from other variaties of UNIX.  There is EMACS (the
largest, most powerful; hardest to use, and once upon a time [this
might not still be true] it used a lot of resources, that earned the
acronym unoffcial translation as: Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping).

There is JOVE, a smaller clone of EMACS.  It's easier to use, but
consequently not as powerful.  There is also JOE, which is my personal
favorite.  It is also a smaller clone of EMACS, but I find it more
intuitive and powerful than JOVE (for my needs, anyway).

Then there is JED, which is primarily for source code editing.  It highlights
keywords, etc. in source code something like the old Borland C IDEs
used to do.  I personally dislike JED.  The colorizing has not once
aided me in identifying portions of code, and has more oft distracted
me from my coding frame of mind than anything else.  And for what it's
worth, it wasn't very intuitive.  It might have been powerful, though.

And then there is little old PICO, which a lot of beginners like.  It's
simple.  Usually familiar because a lot of people use PINE.  PICO is the
internal editor for PINE.  PICO is the easiest to use out of all the
ones explained above.  It is not powerful by any stretch of the imagination,
though.  In other words, it's good for beginners, but it sucks when you
want to do anything remotely complex with code.

Ah, and some people will note that I didn't bring up "ed" or "vi".  I
wouldn't normally neglect mention of these editors; but does anyone
really want to answer a newbies questions about "vi" or "ed"?  Didn't
think so. :)

This is certainly not intended to cover the entire portion of editing
programs for UNIX/Linux, either.  It just covers the more popular ones
that I know of.  And really, this question is better asked on a Linux
newsgroup...:)

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.