Re: The correct way to end the line

From: Brian Gray (mandy@NETCOM.COM)
Date: 08/30/97

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> One of the changes I made between 2.20 and 3.0 was to go through the
> entire source and change all \n\r's to \r\n's after deciding that
> compatibility with older Dikus wasn't as important as compatibility
> with the rest of the world.

Pleeeeeeeeeease tell me you used sed for this.  Can anyone else here see
Jeremy sitting there growing a beard while he manually replaces all the
line endings in all of Circle?  ;)

Incidentally, I wrote a small utility I call gsar (global search and
replace) that will do stuff like this.  It calls out to sed, but also has
options for verbose and destructive editing, and can take wildcards on
the command line.  Unfortunately it carries along with it all the regular
expression quirks that sed has, so you have to know what you're doing.  I
originally wrote it as a quickie thing to renumber a zone file.

 -- Brian