Re: Port Changing

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/30/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer wrote:

-+I personally prefer VI over PICO/PINE or EMACS.
-+mostly because it accept every character as a different command.
-+just makes it faster for me.

Heh, and when my cat decides to sleep on my computer while 'vi' is
loaded up he reformats, paginates, spell-checks, and prints my
document...:) Pretty talented cat, eh?

Anyway, silliness aside, and not to create a war of editors, I
don't have any particular problems with 'vi', however, suggesting
it to a newbie is like telling a kid that can't even walk to go
run in a cross-country marathon. And, personally, I didn't want to
have to weed through questions on 'vi'; and can't imagine anyone
else wanting to, either. vi is a perfectly acceptable editor, and
well featured, but it's horribly un-user-friendly, and people that
have spent most of their lives in DOS and Windows, complaining about
how user-unfriendly EDIT or Notebook is, will die when 'vi' presents
them with a little ':' at the bottom of the screen. :)

Catch my drift? :)
<where in the Hell did that originate from, anyway?>

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
"I'm sorry, our computers are down, and we can't do anything."