Re: Jeremy's Documentation

From: Ray (ruppertr@SNYCORVA.CORTLAND.EDU)
Date: 09/09/97

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Cris Jacobin wrote:
>
> -+        It could be a good litmus test for those questions you say you get.
> -+        "Hey don't run circle, you got to know what you're doing!"

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Daniel Koepke replied:

> Technically, this is already said.  You should know how to code in C.
> Therefore, you should know how to look at the code.  Therefore, you
> should be able to locate things if you bother to look for long enough.
> Or, if you don't find it there, you should have the intelligence to
> look at the FAQ.  So on, and so forth.  With all of the CircleMUD
> resources availible to a competent person, only an unconscious, zombie-like
> newbie would need to ask a question.  And if coding.doc is completed,
> then only illiterate, or very stupid newbies would have to ask those
> questions.

True, but Circle is currently able to be used by those who don't know how
to code at all.  Just unzip it and compile it and you've got yourself a
mud.  If the classes were gone, the mud would not be usable out of the
box, so the would-be Circle imp would need to modify the code a bit
before he/she would have a usable mud.

So, yes, right now Circle mud is supposed to be for people who know how
to code in C, but it's technically possible for someone to not have a
clue how to code and still imp a Circle MUD.  If the classes weren't
included, this wouldn't be the case and CircleMUD would truly only be
usable by people who can read.

I'm not sure where I was going with this post,
                So I'm not sure that I got there,
                                                Ray

ObCircle : I'm thinking of making a bunch of NPC races and changing my
.mob files to support giving a mob a race and level instead of
hp/ac/dam/xp.  Then I'd assign abilities and xp for each race based on
level.  It seems like that would cut down on the complexity of the mob
files and allow for easier adjustment of mob strengths.  (Gee, level
4 dragons seem to be awful powerful, maybe I ought to cut their
powers a bit or increase their xp accordingly, etc.)  I plan to
still support the more detailed format as well for unique monsters
and such, but most of the mobs in my mud so far would fit this
system pretty well.  First of all, has anybody done this or something
similar, and is there anything I should watch out for, and second what do
you all think of the idea?