Re: [NEWBIE] [CODING] [KINDA DUMB]

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 09/10/97

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Charles Jones wrote:

> Heya, I know this is gonna sound like a really dumb questions but I'll
> go ahead and ask anyways.  I am going to change out Midgaard to a new
> town that is already made... I know there is certain things in the files
> that must be changed, such as the guildmasters, guilds, donation room,
> and entrance room.  I was wondering if anyone could send me a list of
> the files i would need to look in and any other changes that i neglected
> to mention in the list.

grep

Learn it and use it.

Since Midgaard is zone 30 'out of the box', I'd do:
grep 30 *.c *.h -n | less

Of course, you'll end up with a few more lines of code out of grep than
you will want to change, but you can use the ~8 lbs. of flesh between
your ears and figure out what to and what not to change.

Since you know that you need to change guildmasters, start rooms, and
guilds, try a more intuitive grep like:

grep guild *.c *.h -ni | less
grep start *.c *.h -ni | less

If you don't know about grep or less start with:
man grep
man less

If you don't know about man type:
man man

If you don't know how to type:
jump off a tall building and flap your arms. :)

John Evans

May the source be with you.