Re: Stock BUG!

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 09/11/97

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Daniel W. Burke wrote:

> Maybe I'm nuts, but does a smigen of time on boot really have any affect
> on anything at all?  you would especially want to cut back on memory usage
> on functions that after bootup, are never used again...

If you've got a lot of spec_procs, then cutting out some real_* lookups
can save minutes of boot time if you're on a slow system.

I can remember a certain zone taking several minutes just to repop on a
sparc 10 because of all the mob lookups.  Adding a cache to the real_*
functions cut boot time by something like 80%.  Of course, that was a
highly overloaded computer, but don't assume you'll never run low on cpu
cycles :)

Sam