Re: [Building]Customizing room directions

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 09/12/97

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Bode, Wyatt wrote:

> Basically, make a world file with the rooms linked in a "context
> sensitive" way.  It's kinda hard for me to explain, so I'll give an
> example (sorry for the spam):
[snip]
> Note the vnums of the rooms as I walk from the shore to the swamp, and
> back again.  The descriptions of the "Highway" (rooms 19503 and 19510)
> change depending which direction I am traveling.  The only problem is
> that objects/mobs/players in one room will not be able to interact with
> the other room directly, even though it appears to be in the same
> physical location (uh-oh, sounds like some CODING to do *8->  I'll work
> on that problem later.)  Anyway, I think it allows an extra cool
> customization of the game text.

Easy :)

Add a ch->last_direction variable, a roomflag ROOM_CONTEXT_SENSITIVE, and
a new set of description pointers context_description[NUM_OF_DIRS].  Check
for context_description[ch->last_direction] in look_at_room, and if it's a
NULL pointer, use the default room->description.  You'll then have to add
some code to your olc if you use olc.

Sam