buffers...

From: Angus Mezick (angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM)
Date: 09/16/97

     GEORGE!!!
     ok... I was having this problem with the buffer system.

     as the game is running, if noone is in a zone, we purge all the
     objs/mobs in it... great for stoping the wonder trackers and
     locate_obj fiends.  when someone enters the zone, it gets reloaded.

     my problem was that at one point a lot of zones would idle out and
     send a message to that effect using mudlog{f}() which would put it
     into a buffer of MAX_STRING_LENGTH and the pass that through
     send_to_char to write_to_output.  well write_to_output has some nice
     error checking features (doesn't let the buffer get too large.  a
     small problem with it, is it has a hard limit for the ammount input at
     one time and if it switches to the large buffer, and that is still too
     small... BANG that person is dead. nothing goes to their screen.  Now
     the question is, where to fix this mess.. (well.. I have to fix the
     overrun buffer in mudlog{f}(), but is there something for
     write_to_output to help this along?
     --Angus