Re: [Code] Changing parse_class to integers ...

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 09/27/97

> From: Neuromancer <amarquez@TRINITY.EDU>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject:  [Code] Changing parse_class to integers ...
> Date: Saturday, September 27, 1997 1:07 AM
>
> This problem has been driving me nuts for a few hours now and
> i think i definately need help.
> I want to get parse_class to accept integers instead of characters
> (so the menu is 1 - thief, 2 -cleric, etc) but I can't seem to figure
> out how. I tried:
>

> int parse_class(char arg)
> {
>         int temp;
>         temp = atoi(arg);
>         switch (temp) {
        case '1':
                /* stuff */
                break;
        case '2':
You get the idea.
You still use characters, just characters that LOOK like numbers.  If you
want 20 classes, then you would have something like:
1) Class 1
2) Class 2
A) Class 10 /*Kinda like hex eh? */
Z) Class 36
a) Class 37 /* Make it case sensitive..., though most users wouldn't like
it */
z) Class something big.  You won't have this many classes I think.
I am using numbers, and this is how I did it.
---
A disadvantage to using numbers that I have encountered over time..., when
using "set player class X", you need to know what that class (or race if
you use them) uses in parse_class.
     Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
                      cst0656@nait.ab.ca

   Forsaken Realms:   telnet://drewl.v-wave.com:4000