Re: [NEWBIE] Questions

From: Angus Mezick (angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM)
Date: 10/01/97

one of the best comments of this sort I have seen yet.  the only other addition
I would have is, read through the code. It is the best/only way to learn what it
does.  I almost mean scan the code. If you can, print it. (recycle when done)
then just quickly go through it making notes on what you don't like, and where
it is.
Luck,
--Angus
One other thing:
From the questions that you asked, you have some very good ideas for what
you want in your MUD, but you are just beginning so you have no idea
where to begin. You will find people more friendly and helpful if you
show proof that you attempted something before running to the list for
help. With this in mind I would strongly suggest that you, and any other
beginning coder, do some (if not all) of the following:

* Buy a book or three on C programming (not C++, Circle is in C).
* Find a command that you want to know what does (like consider), and trace
through the code and see what it does and how it works. If it calls
another function, then read through that function and see what it does as
well. It is almost impossible to code a MUD without knowing what the
functoins do. It's like driving without knowing what the pedals do. Do
this with several commands, mortal, immortal and otherwise.
* Read through and understand (not memorize) what is in structs.h.
* Learn to use grep. It's a lifesaver when looking for code.
* To figure out how combat works, read through the combat code in order
that it is executed (just like you did with consider). You'll want to
start in fight.c with perform_violence().
* If you intend on coding spells, find do_cast (remember to use grep) and
trace through that code just like you did with the "consider" command ad
perform_violence. It's convoluted and long, but well worth reading through.
* When asking the list... 'How to I....' ask yourself the question first
and THINK on it for a couple hours. Write out some ideas and even code a
few to see if any work. If your not getting anywhere or it's not working
quite right, THEN ask the list. We're here to help you, not code things
for you.
* One last thing.... Learn to use gdb. It's a lifesaver when trying to
find out where a program is crashing!

Once you do all of that you should have a decent grasp on how to get
started on some of your coding projects.