Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 10/03/97

I've always been partial to one of the solutions I've heard
to the thief's read language ability in AD&D:

If they make a successful roll, they understand a percentage
of the language equal to their score in the ability.

So if a player has 25% in a language, if heard the language
being spoken, he could understand ~25% of what is said.
In code terms, I would probably do this by making a check
in the language scramble function, and before scrambling
a word, make a check on it - if he succeeds, don't scramble
it, otherwise scramble.
So something like:

Joe says to Jane: 'Fjkfd sq z sword fdlp z mfklsa jkdfsic
giant fjsdlkwjc jkk ta pec west."

If you are worried about the player using a script or
his own [i.e. the player's] intelligence to decipher it,
do something instead like:

You hear Joe talking to Jane, and you can make out some
of what they are saying: '... sword .... giant ... west'.

That way, they get to hear part of what is said, but don't
have a way to mechanically decipher those parts they can't
understand.  In this case, in the scramble function, each
word they don't successfully understand, put in a dot or
two (..) instead of a word.  If they do understand the word,
fill in the word proper, unscrambled.

Edward Glamkowski, Programmer           Mathematica Policy Research
EGlamkowski@mathematic-MPR.COM          Princeton, NJ
                http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/

        In the chapel at Biggin Hill there is a golden book in a glass case.
Every day for the past twenty-five years a page has been turned.  On
each page one can read the names and ranks of those who took off on
that day  and never returned.  Sometimes the page is filled to the last
line.
        They are all Dowding's boys.

        The Battle of Britain  by Marcel Jullian