Re: [CODE] parse_race

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 10/04/97

At 07:51 PM 10/3/97 -0600, John Evans wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Gabriel wrote:
>
>> >I've added a clause in do_set that will allow an imp to set the race of
>> >a given character.  Problem is, I have several races that aren't available
>> >for starting characters.  So we have :
>> >
>> >And as far as I can see, do_set uses this to get the race you're trying to
>> >set the character to.  But, I have several races that won't be parsed.
>> >I know I could write a second int parse_race function, but I don't want to
>> >do that.  Anyone have any suggestions/pointers?
>> >

>I would go with writing a new parse function. I would stick with using
>parse_race for character generation, and do something like
>parse_race_for_set for use with the 'set' command.
>
>That is the easiest and fastest way I see doing it.

I did the same thing with classes.  I have the 4 stock classes and then
remort classes.  I didn't add the remort classes to the list of classes when
you create your character but I did notice that if a player "discovered" my
bug they could easily choose to be a remort class to start out with.  I also
didn't add the remort classes to the code where it rolls the stats of the
class so I would imagine it would cause an error.  So I just copied the
entire parse_class() and pasted it right below itself and changed it to
parse_class_set().  Then I just went to do_set and changed which one it called.
Fast and easy.  definately.  I lot better than added checks when they create
their character so that they can't choose to be one of the remort classes.
Works fine so far.  And I doubt it will ever cause any problems anytime in
the future.