Re: [code] switch bug (sort of)

From: Ray (ruppertr@SNYCORVA.CORTLAND.EDU)
Date: 10/07/97

Aaaaaaaagh!

The facts :

If you switch into a link dead player, you can read his/her mail.  This is
not specifically documented anywhere.

Whether or not this needs to be fixed is up to the individual
implementor.  True, since (in stock circle) you can only switch into a
link-dead player, it's of less utility than a generic reading mail
utility would be.  However, it doesn't hurt anything.  Leaving it as-is
allows imps to do a somewhat shady thing akin to sending obscene tells to
other players while switched (imho).

Again, whether or not this needs to be fixed (or changed or whatever) is
up to the individual implementor...  George (I think) mentioned one use
as switching into a character to receive mail that another character
regretted sending.  Not a common use, certainly, but one that makes you
grateful that you remembered that use of switch.

But, in closing, thank you for pointing out this behavior of the switch
command.  It is useful to know; even though many of us were already aware
such a thing were possible, many beginning imps probably weren't.

Now can we please move on to another topic?
                                         Ray