[CODE] Unique random numbers

From: Brian Gray (mandy@NETCOM.COM)
Date: 10/10/97

I need help with a little probability-related algorithm, if anyone's got
the time.  Basically, I'm taking a number (n) of random picks in a given
range (r).  How can I find out the probability that any two or more of my
random selections will collide?

Note I'm not asking for code for a non-repeating random number
generator.  I can do that easily enough.  What I need to figure out is
exactly what I asked for above.  I don't mean to come off as rude or
anything, but sometimes when I ask people for help with an algorithm I get
"Well, what you REALLY want to do is...".  What I really need to do is
get a floating point value equal to the probability of selection
conflict.  Thanks in advance.

 -- Brian