[admin] ipautofw

From: peter hartman (wart@KUNTRYNET.COM)
Date: 10/20/97

Hello,
        I've been trying to get ipautofw to work with circlemud.  My
current setup has the MUD on a machine that is behind a firewall linux box
running 2.0.30.  The MUD machine is connected to the internet through
Ipmasquerading.  I have the gateway machine redirecting port 4000 to port
4000 of the MUD machine (which is masqueraded).  redir and rinetd both
seem to work perfectly except for one detail:  they do not forward the
client's ip address.  They send the mud the ip address of the gateway
machine.  This is really annoying.  I tried ipautofw.  It does send the ip
of the host (and indeed the hostname too).  However, ipautofw works only
1/3 of the time.  I get these errors :

Mon Oct 20 22:48:28 :: Signal trapping.
Mon Oct 20 22:48:28 :: Entering game loop.
Mon Oct 20 22:48:28 :: No connections.  Going to sleep.
Mon Oct 20 22:48:35 :: New connection.  Waking up.
Mon Oct 20 22:48:40 :: Wart [trilidun.kuntrynet.com] has connected.
Mon Oct 20 22:48:41 :: Wart un-renting and entering game.
gethostbyaddr: Unknown error
process_input: about to lose connection: Connection reset by peer
Mon Oct 20 22:48:47 :: Losing descriptor without char.
gethostbyaddr: Unknown error
process_input: about to lose connection: Connection reset by peer

It doesn't seem to want to let the second connection in.  It let the Wart
client in just fine, even resolved the hostname.  This is very odd.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  If you would like more info I
will gladly send.

My ipautofw command looks like this:

/sbin/ipautofw -F
/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp 3001 3001 -h 192.168.0.5 -v

Thanks for any help.
Peter

visit mud.kuntrynet.com port 4000
linux : http://doorknob.kuntrynet.com/~linux