Re: Weather & Zones?

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/21/97

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Ron Cole wrote:

> >>My players care because the weather MATTERS. Hell... Their regen is even
> >>affected by the weather, some players burn in sunlight, and it is
> >>possible to take damage from some weather patterns.
> >
> >A MUD shouldn't go as far as saying you sat in the sun long enough, you
> >have skin cancer, but I like the possibility of burning.  Especially if you
> >have light skin, wearing nothing, and trudging through a desert...saying
> >water...water....
> >
> >And maybe you can't sit down or sleep while sunburned ;)
>
> I think he meant they catch fire... as in vampires.  :-)  Sunburn is a bit
> extreme on the realism scale.  You're probably gonna need room overrides for
> weather also.  Not all outside rooms in a zone are the same climate.  I suppose
> they could be, but you'd probably waste a lot of zone numbers.

You got it! Chaos Elves (Elric of Melnibone meets Drow of T$R) reside
underground, and have no pigmentation or other natural stuff to protect
them from the sun. Kind of like an alibino, but 10 times worse. Anyway,
skin peels of and they scream real loud then in contact with the sun. :)

I have no plans on going so far as to code sunburn or anything else like
that. I have, however, coded it so that thirst doubles in desert
climates.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.