Re: [Offtopic] observations about MSVC and win32 compilers

From: Franco Gasperino (awe@CET.COM)
Date: 10/26/97

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM>
To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Saturday, October 25, 1997 11:47 PM
Subject: Re:  [Offtopic] observations about MSVC and win32 compilers

>On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Gary Barnett wrote:
>
>%Find In Files is a godsend.
>%Source Safe gives you real version control
>%Integrated debugging allows the program to automatically put you at the
line
>%that crashed.
>
>Uhm, essentially: grep, RCS, and gdb, except with pretty interfaces
>and less power.  Excuse me if I don't burst with joy.

  I find that the power of the compiler is in the power of the debugger.
Since MSVC 4.0, nothing has come close... getting tree views of
linked lists and all data under it is very helpful when stepping through
any code, and gdb doesn't cut it.

Franco Gasperino
Cutting Edge Communications
http://www.cet.com/