Re: Titles

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 10/29/97

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, John Evans wrote:

%Does anyone have a patch that will force someone else to TRY to code
%something before giving up and asking for a pre-done patch?

Hm, you can't give up if you never tried...:)  (sorry, sometimes I
just slip into programmer mode and can actually do simple logic like
that; but usually--and especially when I'm actually coding--I'm at
a loss for logic).

%Those types of posts are WONDERFUL!!! They show that the person tried to
%code on their MUD before coming to the list for help. Those people that
%post:

The majority of the posts are of those "WONDERFUL!!!" type?  I don't
know.  Perhaps I have a jaded view of what is wonderful; to me,
questions like, "I tried this, but I got 'Warning: blah blah blah',
and I don't know what to do," are haunting reminders of Riddler, who
tried exactly what you told him to try--except for the small fact that
he never used common sense or logic, or the three brain cells he had,
and even the most exact and detailed instructions he would mess up
somehow.

%Where is the patch for X?
%Where is the patch for Y?
%Where is the patch for Z?

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that no-one seems to understand
the idea that CircleMUD has a centeral site for all-things-Circle and
that *it* is the place to get things for CircleMUD.  All of sudden, it
is bad to have a well-organized, centeralized project like Circle because
everyone expects a chaotic, "You can get patch X from ftp.x.org, and
patch Y from ftp.y.org, and patch Z with patch A from ftp.za.org." (Yah,
real creative domain names, I know).

%I'll step off my box now and let someone else hear it. Sorry for going
%off on a tirade.

Welcome to the club.  But I try to steer away from the "bitch o' the
day" or the (more popular) "psycho rant o' the day" posts, because,
first, no-one appreciates your (my) point of view; or the few that
do, don't care or don't want to get involved; and second, it tends to
bring you grief, because of the law of nature I have discovered.  Quite
simply put: The people that disagree the strongest are the most vocal.

--
Daniel Anton Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:- [Nether]
"Human language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes